Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Warmth in One Serving


Hello bloggers!

It's been a while since I posted. Truthfully I was not neglecting my blog. I just didn't like any of the ideas I had for my posts. I think posts just have to come to you naturally. My post below is inspired by my month long craving to noodles and co.'s Penne Rosa. I have tried restaurant imitations in the past with a lot of trial and error. But I have to say this recipe is the easiest and fastest. In 20 minutes flat I had the exact replica. Its important to note that the recipe for Penne Rosa has been released by the company itself. I just experimented and tried to substitute certain ingredients with things I had around the house to see if I got similar results. Let me say: I did. So with out further rambling, I bring you "Warmth in one Serving."

Before I write what you need, I wanted to note that I made it just for myself and I had a box of left overs. So adjust it accordingly. 

Things you need:

1/2  box Penne pasta (I had a box of the Great value Penne- honestly any brand will do.)

1/2 bottle of marinara sauce (I used Prego)

1/2 Tablespoon of white cooking wine
So this is one of the spots I experimented. I did not have white cooking wine. Thankful to my friend and (http://www.thekitchn.com) I found that a good substitute would be: vegetable broth, chicken broth, white grape juice, apple juice, and ginger ale. Luckily, I had Apple juice and used that as my substitute. 

1 Tablespoon of EVOO 
I used Bertolli. My pan was a little smaller and so was my serving size so I adjusted it accordingly. If you used a whole box of pasta then I'd suggest 2 Tbsp. The main rule is to have enough oil to coat the pan so you can use less/more depending your pan size, as well.  

crushed red pepper flakes 
So I Love spicy food. So I didn't really measure this if I'm honest. i just poured enough for me. I think if you don't like spicy food then add 2 pinches. I think it adds more flavor. If you are unsure then my tip would be to pour some in and taste it and if you still want more then do it!!! Cooking is fun so don't get scared if things aren't exact. Just experiment for your taste. 

1/4 cup sliced mushrooms 
1/4 cup baby spinach 
1 Roma Tomato 

I got mine pre sliced so my prep time was less. If you need to cut yours take into consideration your cook time might be a bit more. 

I used fresh Express. I LOVE spinach so I personally would put a bigger serving. I can't choose to be picky being vegetarian. If you want it to be more proportionate you can adjust it accordingly to your taste. Like I said cooking is fun and personal so make it fit you.

So many imitation recipes I found after I made my recipe suggest 1/2 can of italian diced tomatoes. For me I really didn't want that much tomato and I wanted it to be fresh. So I opted for 1 Roma Tomato. It honestly depends on taste. I loved my options…and plus it was cheaper and something I already had in my fridge.

1/8 cup heavy whipping cream 
So another substitute. I did not have heavy whipping cream (If you have this in your house then I want to be part of your kitchen). But back to the recipe. There are two possible options for that. Half and Half is option one. I also didn't have that so I opted for milk+butter. My milk was skim. so to make it a little thicker I also added butter.  I added 1/2 cup milk+ 1/6 cup butter. First, Melt the butter using the microwave for 30 seconds. Then slowly pour the butter into the milk while mixing.

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping. 
I didn't have this so I used mozzarella. I would actually suggest using Parmesan or feta cheese to keep it more authentic. 

Recipe:

First, boil your pasta in a pot. I added salt to my water so it doesn't stick. My pasta took a while so i suggest doing this while you prep the rest of your material. 

Then in a large skillet or wok, pour the EVOO. First, put the mushrooms. then add the tomatoes. After mixing add the white wine/substitue, marina and red pepper flakes. Mix it and let it sit for about 4 minute.

By this time your pasta should be done. So drain the pasta and add it to the above mixture. Add the cream and continue string. Add the spinach last.

Last step ENJOY!!! 

The prep time for this is only 20 minutes. I didn't take pictures today because I was busy measuring/experimenting during each step. But I am sure this will be a constant favorite in my kitchen so next time I will add pictures. 

If you wonder how I knew what was in this recipe here is the youtube video I watched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3uJFPsK3g

There are many imitations out there so I am sure a fellow blogger has their own twist with it. My suggestion is it measure/experiment with your flavors and taste in mind. Food is personal. Don't forget that. Please share your pictures or comments if you try it! If you have other suggestions or measurements please let me know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment