Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Heart of Giving: PART 1

It's already February! So that means its getting closer to Valentines day. The past couple of years, I have found a new appreciation for this holiday. Yes, it centers around romance and professing your love for your significant other. However, I think it’s important to take this day to also love YOURSELF and give YOUR heart to those in need. So, I dedicate this post as "PART 1" for taking care of yourself (mind, body, and soul).

I think loving yourself is the most important thing in the world. We all have flaws and sometimes we tend to nit pick on these imperfections. It’s important to overcome these habits and appreciate yourself so if you’re looking for a way to celebrate Valentines day, then treat yourself and love yourself.  You can be in a relationship or single to enjoy the following suggestions. No matter what your "status" is, "self love" is important for everyone.

My first suggestion is to treat your mind. What better gift for yourself than a book. My suggestion is "Move Nourish Believe" by Lorna Jane. Lorna Jane is the creator of the activewear brand that originated in Australia. I began reading this book to get perspective on how she developed her brand and career. But she goes beyond this in her book by inspiring and motivating others to live a healthy lifestyle. The book also includes inspiring stories of the customers who followed these principals for a healthy lifestyle. As the brand says "Move Nourish Believe" it pushes you to "Move" everyday, "Nourish" yourself with good/healthy food, and "Believe" in your dreams. Here is the website for the athletic brand and explore. 




                              


My second suggestion is for you to treat your body. I think the best way to treat your body is with daily exercise. Exercise is not only healthy for your body but also your mind (see how it’s all related). When you exercise, you release endorphins. Endorphins react with receptors in your brain to give you less perception of pain. When you regularly exercise, the release of endorphins have shown to: reduce stress, gives you a boost self-esteem, improves sleep, and also ward of feelings of depression. So my suggestion is for regular exercise, be it walking, running, zumba (anything really)! I recently invested in a FITBIT Flex. This device according to their websites "tracks steps, distance, and calories burned. At night, it tracks your sleep quality and wakes you silently in the morning." The best part is that I have the app on my phone and my laptop, so it allows me to monitor progress. Personally for me, seeing progress allows for me to know that I am treating my body right! This is one of the best ways to treat your body! its a little pricey gift--but if its for yourself then I say why not!


                                           


 Now, we come to the soul. When I think soul, I think "soul food." So naturally I love eating a good meal that triggers a nostalgic feeling. For me "soul food" tends to have south Asian/Indian flavors. When I eat foods with these flavors, it just gives me the comfort I am looking for. It fills me with warmth and reminds me of my childhood and growing up in India. When I began writing I realize that "soul food" might be different for many people.  Then I recalled a recent post on my friends blog that takes a classic "Italian dish with a spin." The spin factor is its amazing south Asian flavors. I have to say it is pure genius. It will hit the spot for many of the people who read my blog so I had to share the post. Here is a link to the recipe.
The NotePad Diaries also posted a recent post called "Charitable valentine's day gift [for her]" so if you want more ideas explore their blog! It’s brilliant!


                       


Once you have achieved self-love through your mind, body, and soul, then you can give your heart and love to those around you.  Check back soon for "The Heart of Giving:Part 2".

Until next time…



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing The NotePad Diaries posts :)

    Now I need to get my hands on that book!

    ReplyDelete